Thursday, February 20, 2014
Perfect Baked Potatoes
Last week, I was listening to an NPR show about healthy foods and both the nutritionist and food scientist were praising the health benefits of potatoes. I think they got a bad rap back when the Atkins diet was popular, but are making a comeback as people realize all the good stuff packed in:
- good source of potassium (more than a banana!) at 18% of the daily recommended value (DV)
- excellent source of vitamin C at 45% of the DV
- good sources of fiber, vitamin B6, and iron (more nutrition details here)
And most kids love them! My two kids are picky eaters and would be content living on chicken nuggets, but are happy to eat almost any potato dish I make. I always buy organic potatoes, however, since conventionally-grown potatoes absorb a lot of pesticides and are sprayed with an anti-sprouting agent. (My grocery store carries 5-lb. bags of organic potatoes which are only slightly more expensive than conventional. Totally worth it! See my post on 12 Foods to Buy Organic for more info. This summer we will be growing some of our own also.)
Baked potatoes are one of our favorites and are super easy. However, I've made my fair share of mushy, lumpy, and unevenly-cooked taters over the years... until I found this easy recipe! They come out fluffy and evenly cooked on the inside with a crispy, salty skin -- perfect!
- medium or large baking potatoes (like Russet)
- coarse Kosher salt
- olive oil or vegetable oil
1. Set oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Scrub potatoes and dry with a towel.
3. Use a cooking brush to coat potatoes lightly with oil. Lightly sprinkle coarse Kosher salt over each side. Place potatoes in a shallow baking dish, not touching each other.
4. Bake medium potatoes for about one hour, large potatoes for an extra 10-15 minutes. Turn them over half way through baking.
Join the Link Party fun! This post linked up to... Show & Tell Friday and Foodie Friday and Simple & Sweet Fridays and Show Off Friday and The 104 Homestead and Simple Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday and Sunday Social Blog Hop and Clever Chicks Blog Hop and Motivation Monday and Monday FunDay and Melt in Your Mouth Monday and Sunday Best and Sweet Sharing Monday and Homestead Barn Hop and Tweak It Tuesday and Backyard Farming Connection and Tuesday Talent Show and Totally Talented Tuesday and Cast Party Wednesday and Get Inspired and Down Home Blog Hop and Penny Pinching Party and Show & Share Wednesday and Wicked Awesome Wednesday and Home & Garden Thursday and Thursday Favorite Things and The HomeAcre Hop and Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways and Saturday Show-licious Craft & Recipe Party and Recipe Round-Up and Tuesday Garden Party